All coaches must meet the following requirements:
- Background check / fingerprinting: available via FastFingerprints (one-time only; does not require renewal unless unless there has been a period of 18 consecutive months where you have not volunteered in the Parish / Diocese)
- Protecting God's Children (PGC) training:. Participate in a 3-hour PGC class offered by the Diocese free of charge. Dates and online registration are offered via the Virtus website. Create a logon using "Columbus, OH (Diocese)", then view and register for a session. When completed, please provide an electronic copy of your certificate. (one-time only; does not require renewal)
- Concussion Awareness Training (state-mandated): Complete concussion awareness online training. When completed, please provide an electronic copy of your certificate. (must be renewed every 3 years)
- Lindsay's Law (state-mandated): Watch the sudden cardiac death awareness video, review the sudden cardiac death awareness informational handout, and complete the sudden cardiac arrest acknowledgement form. When completed, please provide an electronic copy of your acknowledgement form (must be renewed annually)
- Sign the "Coaches' Code of Conduct" and have on-file with the SMAA (one-time; does not require renewal)
Head Coaches must meet the above requirements, plus
- Be 21 years of age
- "Play Like a Champion" (PLC) training: complete a three-hour PLC class offered by the Diocese free of charge. Go to the Diocese PLC page and look for "Coach Training Registration" to sign-up. When completed, please provide an electronic copy of your certificate. (one-time only; does not require renewal)
Volunteers for non-coaching positions that involve interaction with children will also need to meet the Diocese Safe Environment requirements: Background Check and Protecting God's Children training (items #1 and 2 under "All coaches" above).
NOTE: please record the date you complete each requirement and keep it where you can reference it whenever necessary. We are required to provide these dates for all coaches when we submit rosters at the beginning of each season, so will ask for the dates when you volunteer. Also, please keep a copy of any certificate as proof of completion.
We look forward to having you volunteer to help us offer great opportunities for our children!